Monday, July 21, 2014

Sweaty Nerd Fandom: Part 2

I was thirteen years old when Batman and Robin was released in theaters in 1997.  At that age, I did not have the love and appreciation for movies that I do today.  I was more concerned with the fact that I was seeing my first Batman movie in theaters.  Seventeen years ago, I thought the movie was awesome.  Today, I appreciate it for the glorious toilet bug that it is.

The lack of ingenuity of the writing in this movie astounds me.  Akiva Goldsman must have thought he was writing a cartoon because Mr.  Freeze says 27 "ice puns" in the entire movie.  This is the same writer who, four years later, would win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for A Beautiful Mind, which is a far superior movie to say the least.  The sad thing is that the exposition, when it is there, is very good.  The banter between George Clooney is exceptional.  Also, the scenes that George Clooney and Michael Gough are very good. Unfortunately, all these scenes are just put in the wrong places and there's not enough of it.

I'm as much an Arnold Schwarzenegger as any other man who grew up in the 80's and 90's.  However, he is hugely miscast in the role of Mr. Freeze.  Why would you cast a former bodybuilder as an elderly frail scientist?!
I will actually defend George Clooney in this movie as far as being Bruce Wayne.  He did a decent job considering what he had to work with.  As far as being Batman goes, you didn't even alter your voice in any way?  Come on!
I do believe Chris O'Donnell is the best cast person in this movie.  He brings a certain attitude to the character of Dick Grayson/Robin that plays well against George Clooney.  Although it is a shame that we never get to officially see Nightwing in these movies, there are some nice nods to it in Chris O'Donnell's costume in this movie.
Alicia Silverstone is also horribly miscast in the role of Batgirl.  Please note: In the comics,  Batgirl's real name is Barbara Gordon not Barbara Wilson.  In the comics, Batgirl is a computer genius.  However in this movie all she does is come off as a valley girl who attempts to be a badass.  How does being the lead in Clueless make you a prime candidate for Batgirl?!
I actually like Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, dialogue aside.  In the comics, Poison Ivy is a very gorgeous woman, and Uma Thurman personifies that perfectly.  It's just too bad she says out loud all her exposition so we already know what she is going to do.

I honestly do not think that Joel Schumacher should take all of the blame for this movie.  There are a couple of action sequences that are particularly well done, and as I said the exposition is good.  I have seen The Number 23 directed by Joel Schumacher and I think it is very good.  I do not think Joel Schumacher is a bad director.  I just think he should stay away from movies that are based on comic books.

When I think of bad movies, Batman and Robin is near the top of the list.  Many people bash this movie, and rightfully so.  However without the pile of garbage that is Batman and Robin, there would be no Batman Begins.  Thank Odin for Christopher Nolan.


No comments:

Post a Comment