Friday, July 11, 2014

An Unlikely Paradise

I recently watched a movie called My Blue Heaven.  It stars Steve Martin and Rick Moranis, and is directed by Herbert Ross.  I had never heard of it before I watched it, and I must say it was a pleasant surprise.


Steve Martin plays an Italian mob informant named Vinnie Antonelli.  He is in the Witness Protection Program.  He has to bring in the other gangsters so he can go free.  His character is a parody of a character you would find in gangster movies and film noir movies.  Steve Martin's accent is so laughably terrible in this movie.  It does not even come close to Italian, but because this is a comedy I think that was the point.  I have always been a big fan of Steve Martin.  He takes comedy very seriously, and I respect him very much for that.  He always brings something fresh to every film he is in.


Rick Moranis plays Federal Agent Barney Coopersmith.  I really enjoyed his character arc in the movie.  He goes from being a nerd who has his own system for the way eats pancakes to being a very likable guy who can actually have a relationship with a woman.  I had never seen Rick Moranis play a character like this.  I was so used to seeing him play a nerd like he did in Ghostbusters and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.  Seeing him play someone who is generally a good guy who has an actual story arc was very refreshing.


Director Herbert Ross brings a very genuine feel to this movie.  The comedy is over the top at times, but it never gets completely ridiculous.  This is a very heartwarming movie to watch.


I really enjoyed this movie the first time I watched it, and I have watched it again and again since then.  It's always a pleasure to watch two comedic geniuses like Steve Martin and Rick Moranis do what they do best.  If you're feeling like staying in on a Saturday night, then grab some popcorn and pick up a copy of My Blue Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment