Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Rockumentary For All Time

A couple of months ago, I watched This is Spinal Tap for the first time.  Naturally, I had heard how funny this movie is from friends of mine who had seen it, but I must admit I was not entirely prepared for what I was about to see.  Watching this movie was very memorable to me just for the simple fact that I was laughing so uncontrollably and unexpectedly.

The great thing about the writing in the movie is that it clearly makes fun of all the rock bands who take themselves entirely too seriously.  You know, the bands who release DVDs that show them writing songs for all their albums and what the songs mean.  This movie also pokes fun at bands that suffer from drama within them, which is one of the most hilarious things about the movie.

Rob Reiner, while he is the actual director of the movie, also plays the stereotypical director at the beginning of the movie, and he does it in such a profoundly hilarious way.  While the movie is poking fun at bands who take themselves too seriously, Rob Reiner pokes fun at directors during the introduction of This is Spinal Tap.  He is great at the "Let me take you on a journey" type of director.

Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer are brilliant together.  I would not be surprised if this movie was more improvised than actually written.  Their comedic timing in the movie is superb.

When I think of comedies, I usually think of Jim Carrey and Steve Carell.  Parodies and spoofs do not come to mind.  However, it is always refreshing to watch one, especially one I have not seen.  This is Spinal Tap was indeed that for me.  It was, and is, hilarious in so many unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment