Monday, September 21, 2015

Time-Traveling Trilogy: Part II

The Back to the Future Trilogy were the first movies I ever purchased for myself.  The thing is, for the longest time I never knew there were two more movies.  I remember when I bought the trilogy that I was quite surprised to find this out.  I knew the original movie like the back of my hand, so I popped in the other two.  It took me a while to appreciate the sheer genius of Part II.  For a long time, I thought it was the weakest of the trilogy.  Nowadays, simply from a continuity standpoint alone, I think Back to the Future: Part II is nothing short of brilliant.

Back to the Future: Part II is the continuing story of Marty McFly and Doc Brown, who must now travel to the future AND the past to prevent disaster within the space-time continuum.  This movie literally picks up right where the original left off.  Marty and Jennifer travel with Doc Brown to the year 2015 to fix whatever problems their kids have started.  The only thing is….Biff sees the flying car.  It is funny sometimes how a character you never thought mattered much ends up mattering the most.  After fixing the problems his children have caused in the future, Marty and Doc Brown must now travel back to 1955….again….to fix the problems Biff has started.  Okay, now everybody remember how at the end of the first movie Marty watched himself go back in time?  Well, now THAT Marty McFly is on stage playing the guitar while the ACTUAL Marty McFly is watching him!  Make sense?  Good.  I have to say that this scene is wonderful to watch.  The visual effects alone are worth the price of admission.  The end of the movie has one of the best cliffhangers ever, so you cannot wait to see final chapter.

While Back to the Future: Part II is still not my favorite of the bunch, I still enjoy it very much.  In a three-part story, the middle chapter is usually the part where bad things end up happening to the characters, and this movie does so in such a fantastic fashion.  Back to the Future: Part II is grand, epic storytelling at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment