Monday, December 21, 2015

Robin Williams....You're Free!

I did not grow up with the Disney animated movies.  There are hundreds of classic animated films, but I have only seen a handful of them.  I think that because I was not raised on those movies, the 4 or 5 movies that I have seen are that much more special to me.  Aladdin is one of them.

Aladdin is the story of a street urchin who uses a genie's powers to get the girl of his dreams.  Obviously, there are many things to love about this movie.  Everything from the music to the animation is wonderful.  I love the fact that even though Aladdin and Jasmine live completely different lives, they still have something in common.  The scene where Aladdin is retrieving the lamp reminds me very much of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I particularly love the way the magic carpet is animated, and how this character's physical movement is used to show emotion.  The almost-escape from the Cave of Wonders is spectacular.  There is also a nice nod to This is Spinal Tap if you really pay attention.  That being said, there are some issues with the movie.  Firstly, there is no explanation of how the Sultan's diamond has mystical powers.  Next, Princess Jasmine feeds a boy on the street by STEALING FOOD!!  You would think a Princess would be smarter than that.  Also, how does Jafar not know that Prince Ali is really Aladdin?  HELLO!  When it comes to recognizing people, Jafar is almost as dumb as Lois Lane from the original Superman movies.  Another thing that bothers me is that the Genie can get a new master even if he has not granted the previous master their 3 wishes.  Seriously?  That makes no sense at all.  Also, why doesn't Jafar get a new outfit when he becomes a sorcerer?  None of these problems, however, detract from the sheer joy that I get out of watching this movie.

Obviously, what stands out as the bright spot in Aladdin is Robin Williams as the voice of the Genie.  If you really think about it, the Genie is the ultimate Robin Williams tribute in many ways.  The magical power of the Genie is the perfect outlet for William's insane improvisation.  It is the thing I loved most when I saw the movie in theaters when I was boy, and it remains that way today.  Also, for the record, I ALWAYS applaud at the end of "Friend Like Me".

Aladdin was one of my first movie-going experiences.  While I do not consider Aladdin a classic like Peter Pan or The Jungle Book, I certainly do believe it is an incredibly enjoyable movie.  Of course, now that Robin Williams has passed away the ending is incredibly emotional.  Everyone loves Aladdin, and there is a reason for it.

1 comment:

  1. After the Little Mermaid, then came Aladdin and it was marvelous. Robin was able to free form and they animators kinda ran with it. Yes, the ending was great. Genie, you're free!

    ReplyDelete