Sunday, December 20, 2015

Sweaty Nerd Fandom: Part 4

I have fond memories of going to see Daredevil back in 2003.  I remember my good friend Mike Shreve and I trudging through the snow in February just so we could get tickets.  At that time, comic book movies were just starting to get popular and it such a blast going to see the movie.

Daredevil is the story of a man who gets blinded by toxic waste, and then goes on to fight crime using his remaining four senses.  I think the problem most people had with Daredevil is that, in terms of tone, they thought it was going to be like the Spider-Man movie that came out the year before.  It turned out to be exactly the opposite.  Whereas the Spider-Man movie was exciting, fun and had bright colors, Daredevil was quite dark both visually and tonally.  Daredevil does have its problems (like that lame voicemail towards the beginning of the movie), but I must say that I really enjoy the film.  There are other issues with the movie that I would like to address.  For example, what the heck is that thing that he sleeps in?  Is it some sort of superhero waterbed?  Does it drown out the noise?  He's a superhero, so why does he sleep?  There is also a fight scene in the film that takes place in a bar (which is awesome by the way), after which the bad guy is crouched hiding somewhere and Daredevil leaps up and walks across the pool tables to get to him.  Why does he do this?  I mean, it looks cool but there is no strategic reason for him to do so.  Also, during the fight scene in the church there are bats that fly out of the organ.  It really is one of those roll-your-eyes, "oh my god, that's so cliche!" moments.  However as I said before, despite these issues I find Daredevil to be quite enjoyable.

Ben Affleck plays Matt Murdock/Daredevil.  I actually find Affleck to be quite serviceable in the movie.  Murdock is a man who knows that he cannot save everybody, and yet he still has trouble coping with that fact.  Murdock is tormented by loss his entire life, and I really enjoy watching Affleck play this kind of a role.

Jennifer Garner plays Elektra Natchios.  Elektra is a woman who does not need a man to protect her because she can protect herself, and is very adept at doing so.  I enjoy Garner in this role, and the fact that she did some of her own stunts makes it all the better.  Elektra is a very dark character, and Jennifer Garner is very good at playing that kind of a role.

Despite its problems, Daredevil does have many things going for it.  People always ask me, "Nate, name one good thing about Daredevil".  I always respond with, "Colin Farrell as Bullseye".  Farrell absolutely shines in a role that I consider one my favorite villain portrayals.  It is also great to watch the late Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin.  Duncan is literally the only actor on the face of the planet who could play the character simply because of his size.  While Daredevil is not as entertaining as Spider-Man or Iron Man, if you like The Punisher and the Blade movies you will enjoy Daredevil.

No comments:

Post a Comment