Friday, November 6, 2015

A Movie That Has The Key To Our Hearts

I remember seeing Robin Hood: Men in Tights when I was in high school, and I thought it was one of the funniest movies I had ever seen.  Also, for some reason it still remains to this day the only Mel Brooks movie I own in my collection.  It is a movie that hearkens back to the days when spoofs were actually good and ruled the box office.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is not only a spoof of Robin Hood, but more specifically Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves starring Kevin Costner.  It is a fantastic, hilarious romp through the forest that is full of gags that never get old.  There is also a Mel Brooks cameo in the movie that is just as hilarious as the entire movie.  Come to think of it, there are a number of cameos in the movie by legendary comedians.

Cary Elwes is one of my favorite actors.  He can do comedy and drama extremely well.  I own 7 or 8 movies that he is in, and every time I watch him I smile.  He is suave, lethal and brave as Robin of Loxley.  There are a couple of sword fights in the film that, for anyone who has seen The Princess Bride, feel very nostalgic.  Elwes is perfect in the role, and his comedic timing is brilliant.

The legendary Mel Brooks is the director of Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  Mel Brooks is one of those directors that I am very familiar with even though I have not seen many of his movies.  You would think that a movie filled with gags would get boring after a while, but Brooks makes sure those gags are well-timed.  I know that Robin Hood: Men in Tights was one of the last films he directed.  I would love to see his earlier work, and maybe he will choose to direct sometime in the near future because the spoof genre definitely needs him.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a fantastic and hilarious movie.  It is one of the greatest spoofs of all time, directed by one of history's great directors.  I am so happy to own this movie, and I would recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment