Monday, July 6, 2015

A Mad Launch

The Mad Max film series is my favorite movie franchise.  It is post-apocalyptic mayhem at it's finest.  If you combine that with a good story about surviving in a world with limited resources, you cannot lose.

Mad Max centers around the character of Max Rockatansky, played by Mel Gibson, who seeks vengeance after his best friend, wife and child are murdered by a motorcycle gang.  The fury that he unleashes upon them is nothing short of jaw-dropping.

Before I say what I want to say about Mel Gibson, I would like to get something out of the way.  I have never cared about an actor/director's personal life.  As long as they make good movies, that is all that matters to me.  Unless you commit murder, beat a woman, or do something like what Roman Polanski did, I just do not care.  To the best of my recollection, Mel Gibson has apologized for what he has said in recent years, so there that is.  Now that I have gotten that out of the way......I have always been a fan of Mel Gibson.  He is a great actor and director who always gives 110%.  Sometimes people forget that he has got a couple Oscars on his mantel.    It is really great to see him get at least somewhat of a career resurgence with movies like Edge of Darkness and Expendables 3.

I have so much respect for George Miller as a director.  He has superbly crafted these Ozploitation movies to perfection.  There are so many great action directors who have given us so many great...and awful....action movies.  Sometimes I feel like George Miller puts them all to shame.

As awesome as the movie is, however, I feel I should address a minor plot hole.  There is a scene in the movie where Max's wife is getting ready to go have a picnic with their baby boy.  Only, when she leaves to go on the picnic, her son is nowhere to be found.  Later on in the scene, he is magically back with her mother.  Did she just forget to take him with her?  It is minor, yes, but still noticeable.

The Mad Max series, quite simply, is one of the greatest action movie franchises of all time.  The original movie made Mel Gibson a star, and it is hard to imagine what his career would be like had he not done it.  These movies really put Australia on the map, as if to say "Hey, we can make great action movies too!".  George Miller deserves all the credit, as he should.  Now, go see Mad Max: Fury Road!!  You won't be able to catch your breath!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment