Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sweaty Nerd Fandom: Part 6

Tank Girl is one of the few movies based on a comic book that I had not seen until now.  I have been a fan of the genre for years, but I have to admit that I was skeptical about watching it because it is less mainstream than most of these kinds of films.  I always love it when I am proven wrong about a film, and I am pleased to say that I loved almost every single second of this movie.

Tank Girl is the story of a girl who fights against an evil corporation who has control of Earths' water supply in a dystopian future.  One of the things I love about this film is that it does not take itself too seriously.  I mean, you have two women teaming up with an army of kangaroos!!  Every character is so radically different than anything you have seen before, and this makes you cheer for them more than you typically would.  The use of technology in the movie is also incredibly inventive, and the vehicles even look like they have built using parts of other vehicles.  This film is incredibly entertaining, and it is also one of the more fascinating movies in the genre.  However, I do have to address some problems I have with the movie.  At the beginning of the film, we hear a bit of narration from Tank Girl (Lori Petty) that describes what is going on and what she is doing.  I cannot emphasize enough how much I despise narration.  There has to be some other way to bring exposition to a movie without it being told to me by the main character, thus taking me completely out of the film.  Also, apparently one of the rules that the Water and Power Corporation is that no one can own animals.  Not only is this rule not actually on the list of things you are not allowed to do in the world, but there is no explanation as to why this is a rule.  Other than these minor issues, this is a crazy and wild film that will definitely leave a lasting impression.

Lori Petty plays Tank Girl.  I have often talked about the fact that there is a severe lack of strong female characters in film.  One of the other major reasons I loved this film is because of what Petty brings to the role.  The character of Tank Girl epitomizes what a female action star should be.  She kicks ass throughout the entire film, has a wonderful sense of humor and is defiant to the end.  Petty shines in the role, and brings every ounce of craziness she has to an iconic performance.

Naomi Watts plays Jet Girl.  "Jet", as she is called, is yet another example of a strong female character.  She is a mechanic for the Water and Power corporation, but she switches sides when she realizes how horrible the people she works for actually are.  She is also socially awkward, but really comes into her own at the climax of the film.  Watts plays the character beautifully, right down to her physical movements.  When Jet gets comfortable in her own skin at the final act of the movie, she talks and even moves differently than she does previously in the film.  This is a great moment because she realizes her potential, and kicks ass in the process.  Watts is quite good in the film, and displays a wide range of emotions throughout her characters' story arc.

Malcolm McDowell plays Kesslee.  I like the way McDowell plays the character because it is a tad over the top which is exactly the way it should be considering the tone of the film.  Thanks to his performance, the character of Kesslee is both odd and menacing.  McDowell truly gives one of the quirkiest performances I have ever seen.

Rachel Talalay is the director of Tank Girl.  First off, let me say that I love the fact that a woman directed this film.  The character of Tank Girl is such an alluring character, and it takes a female director to fully realize the characteristics of the character.  I love the world that Talalay created with this film.  In this movie the Earth of the future is a desolate wasteland, and people have to create their own makeshift devices so that they can perform everyday functions.  All of these devices have their own specific and unique look.  The action sequences are exciting to watch, especially the sequence where Tank Girl hijacks the Water and Power shipment of weapons.  There is also a musical number in the film where Tank Girl sings "Let's Do It".  Lori Petty is particularly wonderful to watch in this sequence as it is both quirky and funny.  There are also a couple of animated sequences that, even though they are not live-action, are extremely fun to watch.  The only thing I did not care for was the use of the comic book source material in the movie.  Sometimes there are frames from the comics that are used in the film to show what is happening instead of actual footage shot for the film.  This took me completely out of the film.  Other than that, Talalay does such a wonderful job of bringing the character of Tank Girl, and the world she inhabits, to life.

Tank Girl is one of the more unique comic book films, and even films in general, that I have ever seen.  Everything about it has such an odd sensibility about it, and it is definitely not for everyone.  If you are a fan of these kinds of films, and want to know more about the comic book movie genre before it got famous, then I recommend you pick this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment