Saturday, September 10, 2016

Law Enforcement Incoherence

Cop Out is a movie that, given the talent involved, you would think would be a complete riot.  As much as I am a fan of the director and the actors, this film completely falls apart.  I am one of those film fans that believes you have to appreciate the bad with the good, but Cop Out is a tough pill to swallow.

Cop Out is the story of a police officer who recruits his partner to help track down a robber who stole his rare baseball card.  The police officer then intends to use the money he got for the card to pay for his daughters' wedding.  I will not beat around the bush with this: I hate this movie.  The story is mundane and dull, and the comedy falls flat on its face.  Perhaps if Kevin Smith had written the script in addition to directing, the film would have been better.

Bruce Willis plays Jimmy, the police officer who owns the baseball card.  Personally, I find Bruce Willis to be the best part of this entire film.  The thing is, what makes it so great is that it is just Bruce Willis being Bruce Willis.  In this movie, Willis is more of a character actor than anything else, which is actually quite enjoyable to see.  I can honestly say that if he was not in the movie, the film would be completely unwatchable.

Tracy Morgan plays Paul.  I have never been a Tracy Morgan fan, and this movie further cements my feelings.  You would think that an actor who is supposed to be the "comic relief" would actually be funny, but Morgan is horrendous.  Saying variations of the word "No" (ex. "Hell no", "Shit no", "Fuck no") repeatedly is not funny.

Kevin Smith is the director of Cop Out.  The directing is quite bland, and most of the film lacks the energy of previous Kevin Smith films.  There are two action sequences in the film that are actually filmed very well, but other than that the film is incredibly monotonous.  It is always a shame when a director you like and admire turns in a bad movie, and this movie shows that even Kevin Smith can have a bad day at the office.

It is unfortunate that I own this garbage heap of a movie because I have no intention of ever watching it again.  The thing is, I am such a huge film fan that I do not intend to get rid of it either.  Maybe this film works for some people, but for me it does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment