Sunday, May 31, 2015

Almost Perfect

I had never seen Almost Famous up until a few months ago.  I had heard of the film, and of course heard how outstanding it is.  I also was aware of Cameron Crowe's reputation as a director, so I was very excited to watch it.

What I was unaware of was that the film was somewhat autobiographical.  Cameron Crowe wrote a cover story for Rolling Stone Magazine when he was 15 years old.  He traveled with The Allman Brothers, which is represented in the film by the fictional band Stillwater.

One of the things I like I about the movie is that, at it's core, it really is a coming-of-age story.  When William Miller returns home from the tour, he is very much a different man.  It really captures how it feels when you find what you're passionate about.  Your world is completely altered at that moment, and that is what the film represents.

I also like that the film takes place at time when classic rock is dying.  That makes William Miller's cover story about Stillwater so much more meaningful.  This is going to be the cover story to end all cover stories, and people are going to celebrate classic rock until its last breath!

I still miss Philip Seymour Hoffman to this day.  The "uncool" monologue is so heartwarming to hear.  Only an actor of his caliber can make someone feel cool about being uncool.

I've always loved Frances McDormand.  She's a fantastic actress, and she nails it perfectly as Elaine, the overprotective mother of William.  I cannot picture anyone else in that role.

Personally, I never thought I would a like a Kate Hudson movie, let alone own one.  However, what I found with Almost Famous is that if you put her in the right role with the right director she can be great.  I absolutely love her in this film.

The genius of Cameron Crowe is that his movies do not fit into any one particular genre.  The dialogue that he gives his characters is so real and pure that just when you think it is going to get overly dramatic....it doesn't.  I don't know how he does it.

I don't think Patrick Fugit is very good in the film, however there is an innocence that he brings to his character that is necessary to his role and to the story.

I have always been a fan of Jason Lee as an actor, and I think he has gotten considerably better over the years.  Billy Crudup has grown on me in recent years.  I thought he was quite good in Big Fish and Mission:Impossible III, and he is great in this film.

This is a wonderful movie to experience, with a story that sucks you right in straight from the beginning.  The music is as much a character in the film as the actors are, and it immediately transports you to a time when music really meant something, in my opinion.  This movie is a wonderful product of its time, and one that will last for many generations of music lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment