Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Mystery Come to Life

In 1985, director Jonathan Lynn brought a movie version of the board game CLUE to the big screen.  This not only was Lynn's directorial debut, but it was the first movie to be based off of a board game.  Despite not performing well at the box office, this movie has gained a cult following among fans.

I like that they added humor to the movie instead of making it a straight-up murder mystery.  If you're going to make a movie based on a board game, you don't want to take it too seriously.  I think that if they had not put humor in the movie, it would have possibly turned people off from playing the game.

Jonathan Lynn brings a very B-movie style feel to this movie.  You don't feel like you are watching a movie.  You feel like you're watching a play and being part of an experience.  However, this movie is serious when it needs to be, and it succeeds at doing so.

The star of this movie is clearly Tim Curry.  I first saw him in The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the age of ten.  He scared the bejezzus out of me.  Ever since then, I have been both delighted and frightened at seeing him in a movie.  I have to admit he is brilliant in the movie, especially at the end.  Only an actor like Tim Curry could do what he does so well in this movie.

Clue is an example of game-turned-movie done right.  This a very entertaining movie and I highly recommend it....especially on a rainy night.  I mean, it's better than Battleship right?

No comments:

Post a Comment